Friday, September 21, 2012

Goodbye Alaska....Helloooo Panama!!


Hello all!
I hope you are all doing well and enjoying the beautiful season of Fall!  Fall is my favourite season.  But I won’t be able to enjoy it the same way this year because the reason I love fall is because of the clothes you get to wear.  It’s not too hot, not too cold, and you can wear a scarf everyday without looking pretentious.  I love it.  Unfortunately, I will be heading down to PANAMA this next week, so there will not be any scarf-wearing happening.  However, I’m fine with that because, as I mentioned, I am going to PANAMA.  Awesomesauce. 

But of course, before I begin my journey south, I have to update you all on this past week in Alaska and Victoria.  I am so glad I had three weeks in Alaska.  Though I couldn’t get off the ship the first week, I was definitely given some time to appreciate its beauty.  I would love to go back when I have more time and really explore the state, but for the time being, I am ready to leave and see something new.  Nothing extraordinary happened on this cruise, but I really enjoyed my time in the ports.

A view of the ship in Ketchikan!
In Ketchikan, I didn’t do much.  We had the big coast guard drill that day, so we only got about 2 hours off the ship.  Basically, I hiked up to the lodge again and used the internet.  It was a BEAUTIFUL day!  The sunniest they said they’d had all season.  I felt bad spending my time using the internet, but it is the only port where the internet is semi-reliable, so I felt it was necessary.  I especially needed internet that day because I had to update my ipad.  Yes, I got an ipad!  I have never really been a mac person, but it became clear to me within the first week of being on the ship that my giant case of music books that I had to bring with me to every set was a tad aggressive.  The page turning in conjunction with the constant need of reinforcements to repair the three hole punches in the music became extremely frustrating and annoying.  I also had a lot of repertoire on my computer that were pdf files, and I couldn’t justify printing that much if I only played them once in a blue moon.  So, I got an ipad which lets me store all of my music on it and turn pages with a quick swipe of the finger!  I am still getting used to the new system.  Sometimes the page doesn’t turn when I swipe my finger so I have to do it a million times, while playing with my right hand, making it look like I’m sword fighting some invisible little creature on the piano.  Apparently it’s quite entertaining for the guests. :)

So that was Ketchikan.  I also didn’t have much time in Juneau due to my schedule so I was only in town for literally a half an hour.  I was a bit disappointed that I didn’t get more time there, but I was just thankful that I saw the glacier the week before.  I had a lot of time in Skagway which made up for my lack of adventure in the other ports.  I was able to go on a nice long hike with Scott and Eric (from the acapella group), Marcus, Kim, and Chris.  It’s always fun hiking with people you meet on the ship!  We went to the lower lake lookout and had a great time talking, laughing, and of course, photo taking on the way up.  Eric was so “sweet” and brought cupcakes with him (see the use of quotations on the word “sweet” because of the cupcakes? Being sweet?  Classic.) which we all enjoyed.  Of course, being a camp counselor at FLBC, I tried to follow Leave No Trace policy, but I’m pretty sure some crumbs dropped.  Also now that I think about it, that probably wasn’t the best idea seeing as how we were hiking in bear country.
Anyway, it was awesome.  It was a beautiful day, but not too hot.  It was a really nice, crisp, fall day.  I even wore a scarf.  Because it was Fall.  Obvi. 
Getting Ready to Go! Lovin' Me Some Lil' Skags




Me, Eric, and Scott

This picture doesn't do the scenery justice!

So glad this candid moment was caught on film.



Ok, C'mon, how cute does the scarf look?  Life is better with scarves.


Life is also better with cupcakes.

Going to miss Eric so much!


The hike took up most of my time spent in Skagway, so I quickly stopped at the souvenir store before leaving and bought a toque.  This is the only thing I bought for myself to remind me of my time in Alaska.  Sadly, I won’t get to wear it anytime soon as I will be wearing shorts and tank tops for the next 10 weeks.  Also I already have so many hats at home and didn’t need another one.  But it was half price, so I bought it.  I feel like I’m going into too much information about this very ordinary, average, run of the mill hat.  So I am going to stop now.  And move on to the sad part about this week coming to an end – that is, the departure of my four good friends here on the ship.  The acappella group that has become my crew”(in my mind, at least.  And apparently in my mind, I use slang like “my crew”).  They are all so awesome, and I am so sad that they are leaving.  Of course, this week I have attacked them with my camera making sure that we capture every moment together.  For example, on formal night, I asked everyone if we could get a picture together after my last set, but Derrekw as the only person that showed up.  Ergo, the picture below...

All my dreams of finally having a "prom" picture taken finally came true.
Needless to say, it was really hard to get them all together for a group photo.  However, I was not going to let them get off the ship without a proper "Diva and Hustla" photo shoot.  See pictures below for the results.  I am pleased.
Classic Derrek and Annika

Annika and Erik (candid)

Ian and Annika

Me and Scott :)

"Quick! Put your arms around me and look like you love me"

HAHAHAHAHA Good Times.

545 Express & Annika Odegard.  Take us seriously.

I don't know who suggested the "Totem Pole" pose, but I love it.

Diva and Hustlas.

This is why we are friends.
 So..YEAH.  That happened.  In the rendevous lounge.  This is why these people are awesome.  I am going to miss them so much!  I was very thankful I got to know them all individually, and as a group.  I was also thankful that I got to spend my last night in Victoria with Eric.  We went to Earls (obviously) and enjoyed a great meal together.  I absolutely love Victoria!! I have heard so much about it from my sister, and my friends that went to school there, but it truly exceeded my expectations.  One of my favourite moments of the night was when I introduced Eric to "lululemon", one of my favourite stores.  He was amazed.  AND, randomly enough, the person working there knew me somehow from Canadian Idol and we had a mutual friend from Okotoks.  SO that was crazy.  I haven't heard "Were you on Canadian Idol?" in a LONG time so that was super funny.
Victoria!


Speaking of super funny, my funny "story" for this blog is a video of Scott and Eric playing the piano (see above).  You probably won't think it's that funny, but it captures the essence of our friendship, and I haven't uploaded a video yet.  I will preface it a bit.  Scott and Eric like playing piano duets.  Obviously, this makes my heart sing with joy.  I had to capture one of their jam sessions on film.  Please notice their facial expressions more than anything else.  Their concentration and matching outfits make me smile and I hope this video makes you smile as well!  I am so sad they are leaving, but looking forward to getting to know the new acapella group that is coming onboard today.  I have decided that I will attack them with my personality and we will become best friends for the next three months.  Woo hoo!

I will sign off now, but leave you with a picture of me and my dear friend, Caroline.  I was able to see her one last time before I head down to Panama and I am so excited we were able to meet up in beautiful Seattle!  LOVE HER SO MUCH.  LOVE MY LIFE SO MUCH.  LOVE ALL OF YOU SO MUCH.
Life is better with friends.  And Starbucks.  

Byee for now!
A

4 comments:

  1. It is so funny to see you with all those PLU people! Scott and Marcus are really good friends with my roommate from the first two years, and I had a feeling you might overlap with them. Eric too!

    Love reading your blog, Annika!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, look for my friend Alex Berg! I bet you will be on the same ship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That video is awesome haha. You know what else is awesome? The 14th picture down from the top (Start counting people. Want to make sure you all see it again.) Dang girl! Great blog and wonderful pictures! Excited to see all the new sights you are about to adventure to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this and you so much. I also love telling people about my friend that sings and plays piano on a cruise boat, so thanks for making me seem interesting, by knowing you who is actually interesting. <3

    ReplyDelete