Friday, September 14, 2012

Experiencing Alaska!

Hei Hei everyone!

Hi I'm a tour guide.  Take me seriously.
It has been about a week since my last post, and I am trying to get better at posting more often, but I am still trying to figure out the internet situation in the various ports of Alaska.  I also have to spend time actually SEEING and EXPERIENCING things so I actually have something to blog about which often replaces what would be time spent in an internet cafe.  Anyway, I have lots to discuss because it has been a crazy busy week, so let's get right down to business! Last Friday in Seattle, Caroline came to join me on the cruise for just a wee bit.  We only had time to give a quick tour of the ship (which was really exciting because nobody else knows what the ship actually looks like other than my parents who've gone on it before as passengers...go figure).  It was really fun to show her where I perform and all that jazz.  Of course, we snapped a few photos!


Diva on a boat.




That night, I did my first two sets as per usual and things went well!  I met a few cruisers and it seemed like a great crowd to have for the week.  The next night was a formal night.  Usually, I love formal nights because I love getting super dressed up, but I have realized that it is REALLY difficult to zip up evening gowns by yourself.  I'm not going to go into great detail about the cuts/bruises that were a result of my failed attempt to zip up my gown but let's just say that it is something I need to be careful about.  Speaking of being careful about things, let's talk quickly about the embarrassing things I have done because a) I'm a diva, and b) because I don't think about the consequences that come with diva-esque behaviour.

INCIDENT #1: As a performer, I need to look well-groomed for my audience.  If anyone knows me well, they probably are aware that I pick at my nails a lot.  Thus, instead of painting them, I put on fake nails that you buy at Shopper's Drug Mart.  They were working really well and looked GREAT until I played a song on the piano that apparently was too aggressive for my hands to handle, and in the middle of the song, all of my nails started popping off and flying everywhere!  I literally started laughing in the middle of it because I couldn't believe what was  happening nor could I stop it from happening.  Needless to say, I looked like an idiot picking up all the nails on the ground afterward.  Guess to look good, you have to deal with potential accidents like that.

INCIDENT #2: I was walking down the gangway to meet Caroline and OBVIOUSLY I'm wearing high heels.  I didn't realize that there are giant holes in the gangway and my heel got completely stuck.  Of course, everyone on the gangway gasps and asks if I'm okay as I sort of fall/trip my way out of the heel.  I just yell "Oh yeah, I'm fine, TOTALLY fine!" as I get down on my knees and pry the heel out of the ramp.  Oh, and there are about 50 passengers watching me thinking that I'm an idiot for wearing heels in the first place.  

INCIDENT #3: For one formal night, I was wearing a dress that was a LITTLE snug on me.  I got it on sale, and it fit like a glove.  A really tight glove, but still.  I didn't realize until I was sitting at a piano for two hours that it can become difficult to breathe when wearing the dress for a long period of time.  I thought I was going to faint, but THANKFULLY, I was able to get back to my room and unzip it (resulting in more cuts and bruises) before anything  truly embarrassing happened.

Okay, moving on to my first day in Alaska.  I arrived in Ketchikan and immediately started exploring the town.  I went into some shops and found a great hat (see picture).  The town reminded me so much of Bergen, Norway and therefore, I enjoyed it thoroughly.  I went on a little hike which was beautiful.  The main event of the day, however, was the lumberjack show!  It was so cool to watch!  The guys were really fun to see, but what was even more entertaining was the crowd!  It was basically me and 200 senior citizens screaming at the top of their lungs!  The host definitely did a good job of getting everyone riled up.  It was like there were 250 Debra Odegard's in the audience and I nearly died laughing.  But in all honesty, it was a really great show and they did some really cool events!




I met Sarah Palin.  DBJ.
"Creek Street", a street that is built entirely on a creek.  I guess that was self explanatory, but whatever.

Best. Hat. Ever.

Lumberjackin'







Diva on a trail.
 Juneau was the next day.  Before we got to Juneau, however, the ship passes the Tracy Arm Fjord which was abosolutely stunning.  It was similar to the fjords in Norway, except in Norway, people actually LIVE in the fjords so there are houses scattered throughout the scenery.  However, it was still beautiful to pass by on the ship! I was so excited about Juneau because I would finally get a chance to be outside for awhile in the Alaskan wilderness!  Ian (who is from the acapella group) and I went to see the Mendenhall Glacier.  It was a really fun walk and a beautiful ending point on a sand bar by a waterfall!  It was also great to get to know Ian better and of course, FINALLY have someone to take pictures with. :)


Ian and I

Tracy Arm










Hiking Buddies!
Beautiful Mountains!
Taking a break :)
SO happy to be outside!!



Me and the Glacier!
We didn't have much time in Juneau, so I'm hoping to see more of the town itself this coming week.  My final stop in Alaska was Skagway, or as my sisters like to call it, "Li'l Skags".  It was such a cute little town!  For those Calgarians, it reminded me a lot of Heritage Park.  The sidewalks were wooden, there were lots of cute shops, and great fudge!  I bought WAY TOO MUCH fudge.  Except that there is no such thing as too much fudge.  Anyway, it was little rainy, but the scenery was gorgeous and I enjoyed walking around town by myself.  

My last stop was in Victoria where I met my friend, Tony!  He is just the best.  He drove all the way from Bellingham, Washington to see me and we had the most wonderful time.  He also slept in his car overnight because he is awesome and loves me so much.  We went to my favourite restaurant "earls" where I got my favourite meal and just had the best time talking and laughing.  Mostly laughing because that's what happens when we hang out together.  We then walked around town a bit, took some "candid" photos, and simply enjoyed each other's company.  I am so thankful to have a friend like him!  It was also good to have him there because he prevented me from going into lululemon and buying all of their inventory (that's "accounting" talk for products the store sells, Ingrid.  Just in case you didn't know. ;)  Anyway, it was a great way to end the second cruise.  








Starbucks is always a must!


Thanks for coming out, Lil' cutie!
Today I am in Seattle and walked around the market before I arrived at Starbucks to get on the internet.  Hopefully I can meet up with Caroline next week and she can show me some more sights.  Before I go, I will leave you with a random story.  There are so many funny things that happen on this ship, so I will probably always sign off with a story that I think is hilarious that probably isn't that funny but I will share it anyways.

So there is this woman named Patsy that was on the ship last week.  She was about 80 years old and reminded me so much of my Grandma.  She looked lost so I asked her if I could help her.  This was our conversation:

Me: Hello there, can I help you find something?
Patsy: Yes, I'm looking for a bathroom. (Side note: we are in an elevator at this point)
Me: Oh perfect, well we can get out of the elevator and I can take you to a washroom next to the buffet
Patsy: Ok

(We get off the elevator and she begins to move at a pace of about 2 metres per hour.  I embrace it.)

Patsy: So what's your name?
Me: Annika, and you?
Patsy: Patsy.  Patsy Cline.  (light chuckle) No, not really though.  Just Patsy.
Me: haha Great! Nice to meet you Patsy!
Patsy: Do you have children?
Me: ...No, I don't.  I'm only 21.
Patsy: Well, that doesn't mean anything. (Totally something my Grandma would say).

(I tell her to wait in a hallway so I can check that there is, in fact a washroom up ahead.  I tell her not to move! I come back 30 seconds later.  She is gone.  She is the kitchen.  I quickly find her and take her to the washroom.)

Me: So Patsy, is there anywhere I can take you after you go to the washroom?  Where were you headed before you found me?
Patsy: Well, I'm trying to find my husband.

(On a ship of 3,000 people, she is trying to find her husband.)

Praise the Lord, the people in the bathroom knew who she was and said they knew where Hank (her husband) was and would take her to find him.  Anyway, she made me smile and we remained friends for the rest of the cruise.

We have one more week of Alaska, and then I am off to Central America.  Things are great here, and I am really enjoying my time!  I am sending you all love, hugs, and smiles and hoping you have a wonderful day!

Love,
the Diva :) 



4 comments:

  1. Ok those photos of the fjords legitimately look like someone took a picture of the fjords in Norway, and then photoshopped out all the houses haha. So awesome! And those lumberjack photos are great! Those guys are all that is man. Solid job getting a photo with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I am crying. I am laughing. So many comments to make:

    1) The nails. Oh my word. I imagined it happening and could not stop laughing. What song were you playing? Still laughing about it now as I type this.

    2) Glad you got to go to Mendenhall. I've been there. NBD.

    3) I miss li'l Skags!!

    4) Tony is such a gem. Classic Fig and Brie sandwich. Jake would be jealous.

    5) Patsy! Still laughing at that interaction. Mainly because I can picture you bent down to talk/listen to her and the things she said reminded me so much of Grandma.

    Love ya!
    Ings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, thanks for the definition of "inventory" - I wasn't sure what that meant before...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your posts, Annika! Keep them coming. It would be a dream come true to be surrounded by 250 Debra Odegards! AH! So glad you're having a blast.

    ReplyDelete