Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Adventures in Thailand!






Hello all!
I am currently in Singapore for the 3rd time (and loving it!) and I am VERY excited because I am going to get to spend the next two weeks with my parents on the cruise ship!  I am excited for them to see what I do on a daily basis and share a bit of my life with them for the next two weeks!  But, first I must update you on my time in Ho Chi Minh, Bangkok, and Ko Samui!

I spent my day in Ho Chi Minh with Slava and we didn’t do anything too exciting.  It was Chinese New Year so there weren’t a lot of shops open and there were lots of beautiful decorations everywhere.  Even if you’re not in China, the Lunar New Year is a big deal.  So, we walked around for a bit and did some shopping and then ended up getting a foot/body massage that was ah-mahzing.  It was only $9 for an hour!! CRAZY.  Since there wasn’t much else to do in the city, I didn’t feel guilty about having some pampering time.


Our next stop was Bangkok!  I was VERY excited for Bangkok because I was planning on meeting up with good friends of mine from Montana.  Growing up, I went to choir camp at FLBC and then, of course worked there as a counselor.  Anthony Giles has been a choir director there since I was little and I have seen his kids grow up as I saw them once a summer and always treasured that special week!  Now, Anthony, his wife (Jackie), two sons (Zach and Cruz), and daughter (Amanda) are living in Bangkok while Anthony teaches choir at the International School of Bangkok (ISB).  His eldest daughter, McKenzie is currently studying abroad in Scotland so I didn’t get the chance to see her which was too bad!  However, I was very excited to see the Giles family as I hadn’t seen them in 3 years!

When I first arrived in Bangkok, I hired a taxi to take me to the International School.  It was about an hour and a half drive, so it cost me $40.  I thought that was reasonable until I found out that the ride should’ve cost me about $7...Anyway, I was happy to arrive safe and sound at ISB and found Anthony during a recital the students were having.  I sat in on the concert and listened to lovely pianists, violinists, singers etc. which was such a treat for me!  Unfortunately I had an awful cough and had to keep leaving to let it out.  Have you ever tried holding a cough in?? IT IS THE WORST.  I tried to keep it in and I began convulsing/crying because it was the most uncomfortable feeling ever.  Anyway, after the concert, Anthony took me to his house which is just a few minutes walk away.

Anthony and his family live in a gated community that houses many ISB students/teachers.  Families come from all over the world to attend this school and it was such an INCREDIBLE institution!  People travel around on scooters and golf carts and I enjoyed getting to see how this little community lived.  I had already spent some time in downtown Bangkok and this place was VERY different!  I met Cruz (who is now 3 years old) and used some free internet (yay!) while Anthony went back to work.  It wasn’t long until Amanda got home from school and we had a chance to catch up.  Then, we headed on her scooter to get a foot massage (how can you NOT when it’s only $6??)
It was so nice eating dinner with a family again.  I miss that so much and I felt so blessed to sit down in a foreign country with familiar faces and share great food.  It was also nice because the youngest kids went to bed pretty early so I got to have a nice looong sleep in a double bed which was a change for me!

Amanda, Myself, and Zach





The next day I had the opportunity to perform for the students/some teachers which was awesome!  It has been awhile since I have performed for enthusiastic audience members! A lot of the time on the cruise ship I am playing background music or playing for people who are playing cards, drinking, etc.  But these students were so attentive and so interested in what I was doing!  I haven’t heard so many hoots and hollers in a long time.  It was such an encouraging experience!  I even did a few of my own songs which they really liked which, again, was encouraging for me.



Anthony and I

I wish I had more time at the school (I hope I can go back someday!) but I had to work that evening, so I took a taxi home (and DIDN’T get ripped off) and said goodbye to my friends.  I am SO thankful that I was able to meet up with this family and see a bit of their very busy and full lives! 

That night, a bunch of us went out in Bangkok.  The night started off well.  I wore polka dot shorts so obviously I was happy.  However, we landed in the equivalent of the Thai “red light district” which I was unaware of for the first little while and then started to clue and become extremely uncomfortable.  A lot of “what is happening in my life right now?” was said both in my head as well as aloud.  Anyway, some people wanted to go see a “ping pong” show which is basically a place where naked girls perform tricks with ping pong balls.  What?  Why does this exist?  I opted out and went off with another group but we ended up at a club that was expensive, smokey, and didn’t have a dance floor.  They also had a live band who tried to sing Beyonce’s “Crazy In Love” (who do you think you are?) so it wasn’t my ideal situation.





We ended up riding in a vehicle that is similar to a taxi called a...tuk tuk, I think? Can’t remember, but we were going VERY fast and I was scared out of my mind but had high hopes that we would make it to a great club alive.  Well, we DID make it alive but the club was awful so we just went home.  It was kind of a disappointing night for me, but  maybe we will get to a better place when we come back.

Finally, we made our last stop in Ko Samui.  I had a fantastic day with the boys: Slava, Simon (new personal trainer), P.J (sound guy), and Marcio (DJ).  We rode in the back of a truck to an elephant park where we rode on the elephants and fed them. 

On our way to the elephants!



I have the prettiest toes out of everyone.  YES.

Our mode of transportation for the day...
PJ


Feeding Jumbo!






Elephants are so cool!  We then headed to a temple on the way to a beautiful beach.  We had some smoothies at a resort and enjoyed a few hours there.  It was a beautiful sunny day until I wanted to go swimming and then of COURSE when I step on the beach it starts pouring rain.  I was not happy.  Thankfully, the sun came back and I spent a lovely two hours swimming (even having races with Slava which was entertaining) and enjoying the sand and sun!

Thai Temple





And...it's pouring rain.
Beach! 
Yesterday, I was in Singapore and met my Mum for a few hours!  Dad, of course decided to do something different and so I haven’t seen him yet.  I guess he figured he would be seeing me for the next two weeks so there was no sense waiting around for me...Classic.  Anyway, Mum and I went shopping in one of the most famous markets in Singapore.  We bought about 15 headbands (obviously) and, really, anything for your hair that looked sparkly or had “bling” on it (Mum loves her bling).  Plus, I love bows so Asia is the worst when it comes to saving money.  Basically I spent the whole time talking and she listened intently (when she wasn’t distracted by bling) and we had a quick coffee before I had to get back to the ship.

I am very excited for the next two weeks-they should be full of adventure and good times!  I can’t believe I am already more than halfway through my contract!  CRAZY.  I am REALLY enjoying this contract and thankful for the places I’ve seen and the people I’ve met.  And now I get to share it all with my parents!  Stay posted for more updates!  Hope you all are well!

A
P.S Here are a few random photos reflecting life onboard:

I am definitely part of the boys club!





There's always an excuse to eat chicken at 11:00 PM on a ship.

This is how Slava and I pass the time. We play American and Russian children's games.  His are difficult and I hate it.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! Love that you got to see the Giles too--I'm amazed that it worked out so smoothly! I hope you have the best visit with Mumsy and Popsy while they are there. This leg of your cruising is my favorite to follow--your pictures are incredible! Can't believe you got to ride elephants...

    ReplyDelete